Tendo City:  The Cake Is A Lie!  

Go Back  Tendo City: The Cake Is A Lie! > Tendo City: Metropolitan District > Multiconsole City

Fri, August 10th, 2007   #1
A Black Falcon
Defender of the Realm

Send a message via AIM to A Black Falcon Send a message via MSN to A Black Falcon
Default And next, all of the talent anybody cares about leaves the company?

http://home.businesswire.com/portal...400&newsLang=en

Irrational Games is now "2K Boston". One step on the road to their destruction? They are so awesome, this is really too bad... I know it's supposedly just a name change, but these things...
Currently Playing: Guild Wars (with expansions) (PC), Donkey Kong Country series (SNES), Summon Night: Swordcraft Story 1 and 2 (GBA), sometimes Warcraft III or Starcraft (PC) Mega Turrican and Universal Soldier (Genesis), various other stuff
Fri, August 10th, 2007   #2
Great Rumbler
Tendocity's Resident Accountant and Amateur Writer

Send a message via AIM to Great Rumbler Send a message via MSN to Great Rumbler

I'll start being worried when the talent begins leaving.

Or if Bioshock bombs.

Read my web log.
Fri, August 10th, 2007   #3
A Black Falcon
Defender of the Realm

Send a message via AIM to A Black Falcon Send a message via MSN to A Black Falcon

Yeah, their only chance is if Bioshock sells well. If it doesn't... it's probably pretty much over.
Currently Playing: Guild Wars (with expansions) (PC), Donkey Kong Country series (SNES), Summon Night: Swordcraft Story 1 and 2 (GBA), sometimes Warcraft III or Starcraft (PC) Mega Turrican and Universal Soldier (Genesis), various other stuff
1 Week Ago   #4
A Black Falcon
Defender of the Realm

And now two more companies join the ranks of the imminently doomed...

http://biz.yahoo.com/bw/071011/20071011006083.html?.v=1

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=198263

So how long until Bioware goes the way of Origin and Bullfrog? Only a Will Wright-style unbroken string of successes and ability to work in a company like that could save it, and I'm not going to bet on that given the track record of these things... for every case where it actually works out (Blizzard for instance) there are many, many more where it doesn't.

Really, really bad news, obviously. Bioware is one of the very best... it's not surprising though. Bioware and Pandemic, if you recall, were purchased by Elevation Partners a year or two ago, a company then headed by John Riccitiello, an ex EA CEO who is now again CEO of EA. So he bought the companies which he had overseen for a while before going back to EA.
1 Week Ago   #5
Great Rumbler

When was the last time that Maxis made a really great game? It was Simcity 4 and that was 4 1/2 years, and multiple Sims expansions, ago.

Spore's about the only thing they've got left.

Read my web log.
1 Week Ago   #6
A Black Falcon
Defender of the Realm

Well, Maxis is pretty much nonexistent aside for Will Wright's team, it seems to me, which is part of why that is -- they don't have other teams making other stuff anymore... and he's been busy on Spore for quite a while now. Before that he made Sims 2, which wasn't as successful as the first game but was probably okay if you liked it... I was never interested in those games so I've never actually played them. That doesn't mean that they're bad games though.
1 Week Ago   #7
Great Rumbler

The Sims is nothing more than a cash-cow that EA has been milking for the past seven years. The first one was pretty good, because it was something new, but since then the whole series has just been driven completely into the ground.

And now the next Simcity game is going to another team.

Read my web log.
2 Days Ago   #8
Smoke
Vault Dweller

Send a message via MSN to Smoke

The next SimCity is an abortion.
2 Days Ago   #9
Great Rumbler

I could see it being an interesting and fun game...but I can also see it being a complete disaster that's nothing more than a mockery of the franchise.

Read my web log.
2 Days Ago   #10
Dark Jaguar
Resident Schizophrenic

Hmm... From what I've heard it seems like Societies is going to basically be the "Monopoly Kids" of the Sim City world. That does mean that SC4 will have plenty of life left in it anyway. I guess there's a reason they aren't calling it 5. It could be good, but I prefer the slow rise in sheer complexity of Sim City games. I enjoy managing all of that. At the same time, being able to determine the "style" of my city is pretty compelling...
"On two occasions, I have been asked [by members of Parliament], 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?' I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question." ~ Charles Babbage (1791-1871)
1 Day Ago   #11
A Black Falcon
Defender of the Realm

SimTown II, that is.

Note: I didn't like SimTown. Too simple...
1 Day Ago   #12
Dark Jaguar
Resident Schizophrenic

Sim Town 2? Yeah, good call.

They could really make sure there's lots to do and a lot of customization, and it could end up a fun game in it's own right. I wouldn't call it Sim City though, as you said, too simple. Weird though, considering the Sim City series has gotten progressively more complecated with each itteration. Actually, I think I read that that was the idea behind this Societies game. They apparently wanted to trim away the barrier to entry for new players. I can understand that so long as they do eventually make a proper Sim City 5.

However, my fire for Spore, while somewhat cooled due to time, still burns the hottest. That game looks to be the ultimate sandbox, and it looks to be extremely complex in it's own right. Hmm, actually to be honest I wonder what - aside from the appearence alterations which we've all seen - people are able to actually customize? I haven't seen how people actually go about setting creature capabilities aside from procedural guesswork based on design, and how one goes about running the towns, civilizations, planets, and galaxies beyond. I sure hope I can alter a lot of stuff there, like say, artistic development and moral.
"On two occasions, I have been asked [by members of Parliament], 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?' I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question." ~ Charles Babbage (1791-1871)

Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes  Rate This Thread 
Rate This Thread: